Calling all college-bound “Grey’s Anatomy” fans interested in the health industry…
Are you interested in becoming a doctor, veterinarian, pharmacist, sonographer, forensic scientist, medical researcher, or other college degreed medical professional?
Would you like to start early?
Biomedical Science students are tackling the same type of real-world challenges seen by the professionals. We’re talking the big ones…like discovering new cancer treatments.
How are students doing this in high school?
Our students work with the same tools used by biomedical science professionals in hospitals and labs. They are quickly introduced to hands-on activities and labs where they team up to solve problems by finding solutions.
If you want to make the world a better place and get a jump start on preparing for college and your medical career, then Biomed is for you.
You will study Biomedical Sciences through the exciting Project Lead the Way (PLTW) curriculum that provides hands-on projects and experiences. Below are a few examples of hands-on lab activities.
During the final year, you will choose your own biomedical problem you would like to solve. You will research, test, and provide results on the issue you choose.
Just before the COVID-19 pandemic, a student chose to study the effects of adding Messenger RNA (mRNA) therapeutics as a treatment to ovarian cancer cells. Using the P53 gene, it would provide the genetic code for the cells to produce protein. Once protein is produced in the cells, the body launches an immune response killing the cancer cells. Why is the timing important? It’s important to note that mRNA has never before been used in a vaccine. However, the first two COVID-19 vaccines on the market used mRNA to fight the coronavirus. A first in history…and one of our students was studying the same solution.
- Targeted Vascular Cooling
- Improved Treatment Plan for Ankylosing Spondylitis with the Addition of Dry Needling Therapy
- Is There a Relationship Between the Consumption of Diet Sodas and Diabetics’ Risk of Developing Retinopathy?
- Replacement of Petroleum-based Plastic
- The Effects of Different Nutrients on the Growth of Serotonin Producing Bacteria within the Gut Microbiome
- The Effects of Marijuana on Fetal Health
- Wildlife Tracking and Monitoring Internal Microchip (WTMIM)
- The Effects of Controlled Stress on the Decision-Making Process
AREAS OF STUDY:
- PRINCIPLES OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE: From design and data analysis to outbreaks, clinical empathy, health promotion, and more, you will explore the vast range of careers in biomedical sciences. You will develop not just technical skills, but also in-demand, transportable skills that you need to thrive in life and career.
- HUMAN BODY SYSTEMS: Through projects such as determining the identity of a skeleton using both forensic anthropology and DNA analysis, you examine the interactions of human body systems and apply what they know to solve real-world medical cases.
- MEDICAL INTERVENTIONS: You will delve into activities like designing a prosthetic arm as you follow the life of a fictitious family and investigate how to prevent, diagnose, and treat disease.
- BIOMEDICAL INNOVATION: For the capstone, you build on the knowledge and skills gained from previous courses to design your own innovative solutions for the most pressing health challenges of the 21st century.
You are exposed to a diverse curriculum with a strong math and science foundation to better equip you for success in a science related major at the college/university level. In BioMed you will receive high-level math and science credits for high school graduation and college preparation.
You will study advanced math courses that include:
- Pre-AP Algebra II
- Pre-AP Calculus or AP Calculus
Also included are advanced science courses such as:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Pre-AP Chemistry
- AP Biology or Statistics & Probability
May require additional fees.Read More
- Advanced Placement (AP) Biology exam
- Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus exam
Students, Campus, TimesRead More
- Students: High School Only
- Campus: Drumright Only
- Times: Morning, Afternoon