Phlebotomists collect blood for testing so it can be analyzed in a clinical laboratory. Blood tests are used to diagnose illness, evaluate the effectiveness of medications and determine whether a patient is receiving proper nutrition.
As an important member of the clinical laboratory team, a phlebotomist will:
- Draw blood specimens by venipuncture, syringe, and micro-collection techniques
- Collect and process other clinical specimens
- Prepare samples for laboratory testing and analysis
- Assemble and maintain medical instruments such as needles, test tubes, blood vials, and centrifuges
Students perform venipuncture on each other in class. If you have a fear of needles, this may not be the class for you.
- The healthcare setting
- Quality assurance
- Infection control
- Overview of the human body
- The circulatory system
- Blood Collection Procedures
- Order of draw
- Capillary punctures
Clinical rotations are required to complete course.
Per clinical site requirements, we will conduct a background check and drug screening on each student. Class grades and participation will be taken into consideration for approval. Clinical rotations will be scheduled by the instructor at sites with which Central Tech has a current clinical contract.
Clinical rotations are not to be done at the student’s place of employment and students will not be paid. Clinicals must be done Monday through Friday (ONE week – daytime hours).
- Current TB test with negative results or chest x-ray
- Current vaccination record or titer test with proof of:
- Two (2) MMRs
- Hep B
- Verification of varicella
- TDAP (within 10 years)
- Class GPA of 74% or higher
CPR though the American Heart Association (AHA) Healthcare Provider/Basic Life Support is included in this class. If you posses a current CPR card, it must be AHA CPR/BLS to be accepted in this class.
|Campus||Dates||Hours||Times||Tuition||Fees & Supplies||Total Cost|
|Campus: Sapulpa Campus||Dates: 6/7/21-7/28/21||Hours: 88||Times: 5:30p-8:30p||Tuition: $225||Fees & Supplies: $345||Total Cost: $570|
|Campus: Sapulpa Campus||Dates: 8/18/21-10/13/21||Hours: 88||Times: 5:30p-8:30p||Tuition: $225||Fees & Supplies: $345||Total Cost: $570|
|Campus: Drumright Campus||Dates: 9/7/21-10/28/21||Hours: 88||Times: 6:00p-9:00p||Tuition: $225||Fees & Supplies: $345||Total Cost: $570|
|Campus: Sapulpa Campus||Dates: 10/20/21-12/15/21||Hours: 88||Times: 5:30p-8:30p||Tuition: $225||Fees & Supplies: $345||Total Cost: $570|