All About Diesel. All the time.
Ready to get your hands dirty? Learn to disassemble and reassemble large engines, dismount tires, and perform front end alignments in our giant diesel shop much that looks like the environment where you will go to work.
Just think…by the time you graduate from high school (one year for all-day adults), you could be a diesel mechanic working on big engines. Diesel Technicians can choose to work for:
- Fleet services
- Repair Shops or Service Stations
- Start Your Own Business
- Trucking Companies
Diesel mechanics are needed in a variety of work environments including:
- Agriculture (tractors)
- Diesel-powered Industrial Machines (generators)
- Heavy Equipment (dozers, backhoes, track hoes)
There’s so much to learn
Our on-the-job training (OJT) program allows you to put your knowledge to work during the second semester of your senior year (quicker for all-day adult students).
With hands-on experience plus OJT, it’s no wonder small trucking companies along with some of the biggest names in the industry hire our graduates to keep their engines running.
After successfully completing the diesel mechanic program, you can obtain your CDL. Must be at least 18-years old.
Although you won’t be “transporting ten thousand loads in sixty days – before the road disappears…” as a diesel mechanic or CDL driver you could get “hooked up to make some money!”
MEDIUM/HEAVY DIESEL TRUCK HEAVY LINE TECHNICIAN
In this class you will learn the skills to provide service and repair to the engine, chassis and drive train components. You learn about the electrical system and to test and replace the system components using a digital volt ohm meter.
You also learn about the preventative maintenance inspection and performance procedures, regulations, and documentation as well as how to inspect, diagnose and repair diesel engines. You gain hands-on experience in disassembling, repairing and reassembling a diesel engine.
In addition, you learn about the brake system, steering system, hydraulic system, and drive train diagnosis, problem solving techniques and repair procedures. You cover hydraulic systems found in medium and heavy truck applications as well.
The hours completed in this program align with ASE/NATEF standards, and ASE certification is recommended and industry recognized.
Areas of Study
- Introduction to Diesel Technology Safety & Electrical
- Diesel Electricity Fundamentals
- Preventative Maintenance Inspection & Service
- Diesel Engine Systems
- Workforce Staging
- Tire Service, Heating & Air Conditioning
- Medium/Heavy Truck Brakes
- Medium/Heavy Truck Steering & Suspension
- Medium/Heavy Diesel Truck Drive Train
- Medium/Heavy Diesel Truck Hydraulics
MEDIUM/HEAVY DIESEL TRUCK HEAVY LINE TECHNICIAN/CDL
In addition to the curriculum for the Medium/Heavy Diesel Truck Heavy Line Technician class, you will receive the training necessary to become a professional truck driver. You will learn how to properly operate an eighteen-wheeler, including:
- Shift, Backup, & Basic Controls
- Speed & Space Management
- Night Operation
- Driving in Extreme Conditions
- Emergency Maneuvers & Hazard Awareness
- Preventative Maintenance, Troubleshooting, & Vehicle Inspection
- Cargo Handling & Documentation
- Trip Planning
- Driver Health & Safety
- Accident Procedures
You will have an opportunity to perform driving skills on training grounds and in live traffic. After the completion of this major you will be eligible to take the CDL exam to receive your license.
Areas of Study
- Professional Truck Driver Basic Operation
- Professional Truck Driver Safety Operation Practices
- Professional Truck Driver Advanced Operation Practices
- Professional Truck Driver Vehicle Maintenance
- Professional Truck Driver Non-Vehicle Activities
Where do they find jobs?Read More
Most of our graduates join the workforce upon completion. Many times, they accept OJT offers. Occasionally students will take internships while continuing their education at OSU-IT for CAT Dealer Prep, Komatsu ACT, Truck Technician, or Western Equipment Dealers Association Technician.
May require additional fees.Read More
- Certified by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF)
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE)
- MACS 609 (Mobile Air Conditioning)
Students, Campus, TimesRead More
- Students: Adult & High School
- Campus: Drumright Only
- Times: Morning, Afternoon, Full Day